doppel is a mental wellbeing startup bringing calm and focus to people when they need it most. We apply research in psychology and neuroscience to create technology that empowers people to change how they feel.
We are looking for a talented, experienced and driven Digital Interaction Designer to work closely with our CPO and software team to create amazing user experiences in our app (and connected wristband). Your main responsibility will be to take the lead on the digital design of our iOS and Android apps and drive improvements in useability, look and feel. This will require the ability to rapidly sketch, prototype and test solutions, then deliver to users alongside our developers.
As we have recently launched our first product, our focus is on improving the useability of our apps and the development of existing and new features driven by feedback from our users and our scientific research.
You will work in a small, multidisciplinary team and will need the ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and specialisms. Curiosity and ability to communicate with everyone will be key.
– Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and experience.
– Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering
– Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks
– Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
– Present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders
– Conduct user research and evaluate user feedback
– Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
The ideal candidate
You are fantastic App UI designer, but also well-versed in UX and Interaction design. You’ll be a creative and confident, with experience delivering beautiful, intuitive, and functional user interfaces. You will have superior UI skills, be able to translate high-level requirements into interaction flows and artifacts, and be comfortable working with users to rapidly prototype and test your designs. You will need an appreciation of the whole user experience and eye for clean and artful design.
– Proven App UI experience
– Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio
– Solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps
– Proficiency in Sketch/ Figma/ Adobe XD, Illustrator, Invision/ Marvel and Zeplin or similar design and prototyping tools.
– Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
– Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders
– Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
– Up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
– BSc/MSc in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design or related, or relevant work experience
– Experience working closely with developers in an Agile/Scrum development process
Desirable skills and experience
– Ability to design across both iOS and Android platforms
– Previous experience working on User Experience Design as well as UI
– Experience with connected apps that work with dedicated hardware, especially wearables, to deliver a unified experience
– Previous experience in an early start-up environment
– Ability to work across the whole development cycle, including user research and discovery
doppel is a mental wellbeing startup bringing calm and focus to people around the world when they need it most. We apply research in psychology and neuroscience to create useful technology that empowers people to change how they feel.
Our first product, doppel, is a wristband that has been shown to reduce stress and increase focus, naturally, and within moments. It works by creating a silent vibration on the inside of your wrist which feels like the ‘lub-dub’ of a heartbeat. doppel’s natural, psychological effect works in a similar way to music – slower rhythms are calming, and faster rhythms help you feel focused. Results showing doppel’s calming effect have been published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Scientific Reports, and thousands of people have used doppel to stay calm under pressure and focus on the task ahead.
Following a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2015 we’ve taken doppel from a concept to reality – all with a core team of six people. The company has won numerous awards, grants and competitions – most recently the 2018 UK Business Angels Association award for Best Female-Led Investment – and the product has received significant press interest in titles ranging from Forbes and the BBC to Women’s Health and Wired. Most importantly, doppel has now been launched into the world and the feedback is that it’s changing people’s lives!
Why you should join us
doppel was created by four co-founders with backgrounds spanning design, engineering and science, and we work with world leading experts in psychophysiology. We are a diverse, passionate team working together to create ground-breaking products to help people improve their mental wellbeing.
Our growing team are defining a new form of technology, one that works with a person’s mind and body to tackle some of the biggest mental health challenges we face today. You have a chance to be part of an organisation that has the potential to have a huge positive impact on the world.
We’re at an incredibly exciting time for the company as we move beyond pre-orders and start to grow sales. This is a fantastic opportunity to have a voice in this journey, make an impact and develop your own role. We want every person who joins doppel to become an integral part of our team, and we want them to learn, develop and have fun working together on a cause they are passionate about.
We’re looking for ambitious, talented people to join us and make the world a calmer place.