This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow at pace, recently crossing the threshold of 700 people, and is now seeking a talented, driven midweight visual designer to support the senior leadership, as well as work on design projects for the wider company.
Based within the newly formed in-house Design Studio, the visual designer will be responsible for preparing slide decks and other visual materials to help convey our groundbreaking research to varied audiences, working closely with some of leading thinkers in AI. In addition to this, the role will include the opportunity to work on various visual design projects across the whole of DeepMind.
This is a chance for a proactive, self-starting visual designer to make a tangible difference to the work of one of the most exciting and extraordinary companies in the world. This role requires high standards, effective communication skills, a can-do, resilient approach, and the ability to work quickly and efficiently, while still focusing on getting the details right.
This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that will change the world.
– You have significant experience as a midweight visual designer in fast-paced and demanding environments, ideally with at least one role in a technology-driven or scientific organisation.
– You have a track record of delivering impactful visual design in multiple formats for diverse audiences, with significant expertise in creating presentations (Keynote, Slides).
– You are adept at working across the Adobe Creative Suite, and have experience in multiple other design disciplines including: motion design (After Effects), Cinema 4D or other 3D applications, and the principles of interaction design (Sketch).
– You have the ability to build a rapport with individuals and small teams, and take a proactive approach to managing clients and understanding their needs. You are comfortable working with clients who require very fast turnaround and have limited time to give briefs.
– You work rapidly and effectively, finding smart solutions to tricky problems and absorbing feedback and actioning it quickly. You are adept at delivering high-quality work to very tight deadlines.
– You take a flexible, hands-on approach, including working within existing brand guidelines to develop content from scratch as well as refreshing and updating existing materials.
– You have experience in managing complex and time-critical design projects.
– You are experienced in advising senior leadership on visual design.
– You have a strong interest in technology, computer science, AI or social-impact organisations, or in health or scientific research.
You will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution in this role. Your priority area of focus will be to deliver excellent-quality, rapid-turnaround design services directly to senior leadership. You will also have the opportunity to consistently work on broad and varied design briefs for the wider company.
This is not a typical visual design role. You will have the opportunity to apply your innovative thinking to design in an unconventional and adventurous organisation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: SUPPORT FOR SENIOR LEADERSHIP
– Deliver effective, time-critical design support for our senior leadership, including graphics, diagrams, slide decks, and other materials that are suitable for varied audiences. This requires high-quality work delivered at an exceptionally fast turnaround (within a day) and flexible work hours.
– Take responsibility for the production of polished, informative and visually beautiful presentation decks on a variety of topics, ensuring these are always delivered on time. Adapt and update existing designs when needed, or create presentations from scratch.
– Build a close relationship with senior leadership. Become the go-to, trusted person who can help express their thoughts and plans creatively through visual design. Effectively develop designs that reflect the detail and nuance of their ideas, and that can convey our groundbreaking research to any audience.
– Work to predict and pre-empt design needs based on upcoming events in the calendar – take a proactive approach to meeting these needs ahead of time by updating decks or drafting materials. Always be ready to work flexibly and to extremely tight timelines.
– Integrate yourself with the wider team. Collaborate and communicate effectively to ensure that everyone is informed about progress, direction and deadlines.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: GENERAL VISUAL DESIGN WORK (across DeepMind)
– Support the Senior Designer in providing in-house design solutions for DeepMind staff from across the company.
– Work within an existing brand, applying these guidelines across a broad range of collateral.
– Collaborate with all internal teams, delivering high-quality, diverse visual design work for a range of internal stakeholders, and effectively managing projects’ priorities to deliver to deadlines.
– Collaborate effectively with external design agencies, providing insight, guidance and support to ensure their work meets DeepMind’s branding guidelines and standards and is delivered on time and on budget.
– Provide feedback and support to other DeepMind staff who are commissioning external design work, including checking briefs and providing sign-off on content for quality and adherence to brand guidelines.