About the company: Launching in 2024, Somer creates honest furniture of enduring quality for the circular economy and a low carbon future. Our mission is to promote the specification of timber as an unmatched sustainable resource through the delivery of our new and innovative model for furniture design and production.
The Operations Manager will play a critical role in overseeing and optimising the day-to-day operations of our growing furniture design and manufacturing firm based in Frome, Somerset. This position requires strong leadership, organisational, and problem-solving skills to ensure efficient production, excellent customer service, adherence to quality standards, and effective financial and administrative management. It is a requirement for the Operations Manager to live near Frome, Somerset.
• Provide leadership and guidance to the operations team, including carpenters, craftspeople, and support staff.
• Develop and implement operational strategies to enhance productivity, quality, and efficiency.
• Foster a culture of safety, teamwork, and continuous improvement.
• Plan, organise, and manage project schedules to meet deadlines and budgetary constraints.
• Allocate resources effectively to ensure timely completion of projects.
• Monitor project progress and address any issues or delays promptly.
• Maintain and enforce high-quality standards in all aspects of the projects.
• Implement quality control processes and conduct regular inspections.
• Collaborate with the workshop team to ensure craftsmanship meets or exceeds client expectations.
• Manage the allocation of manpower, equipment, and materials for projects.
• Monitor inventory levels and procure materials as needed, optimising costs.
• Ensure the efficient utilisation of resources to maximise profitability.
• Build and maintain strong client relationships through effective communication and problem-solving.
• Address client concerns or complaints professionally and promptly.
• Identify opportunities to upsell or expand services to existing clients.
Budget and Cost Management
• Prepare and manage project budgets, tracking expenses and revenue using existing templates
• Identify cost-saving opportunities and implement cost control measures.
• Ensure timely invoicing and follow up on payments from clients.
• Monitor and manage accounts receivable, ensuring customers pay on time.
Financial and Administrative Activity
• Support the Somer Chief Financial Officer with maintaining quality records, financial reporting and analysis, providing insights to senior management.
• Manage administrative tasks such as procurement, payroll, and operational systems such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
• Implement and maintain efficient administrative processes. Compliance and Safety
• Ensure that all operations adhere to safety regulations and industry standards, working closely with the company directors to ensure compliance.
• Keep abreast of relevant laws and regulations, making necessary adjustments to operations.
• Implement and maintain safety protocols and training programs.
• Proven experience in a supervisory or management role within the furniture manufacturing and cabinetmaking industry.
• Good knowledge of carpentry techniques, materials, and tools.
• Good knowledge of CAD/CAM and automation.
• Exceptional organisational and time management skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
• Proficiency in project management software and financial management tools.
• Ability to analyse data, make informed decisions, and solve problems.
• Commitment to safety, quality, customer satisfaction, and financial success.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Construction Management, or related field (This is considered a bonus, not required. Relevant experience will be viewed preferentially to education).
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION This is a full-time position with occasional overtime and weekend work. This is a hybrid-role with 3 days per week minimum required in our studio, and flexibility to work from home on other days. Days in the office will be fixed according to an agreed upon schedule to suit the business and your lifestyle. The Operations Manager is required to live near Frome, Somerset. Travel may be required to project sites and client meetings. Competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
This is an evolving position within a fast-growing, equity backed new company, with potential to progress into more senior roles as the company grows. Subject to a successful probationary period and working relationship, you may be eligible for an enterprise management incentive based share options scheme, which would give you part-ownership of the company. Application Process Interested candidates who reside near Frome, Somerset, have proven experience in furniture manufacturing or cabinetmaking and are adept at financial and administrative management, are encouraged to submit their resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22nd February 2024.