With an uncompromising commitment to British manufacturing, Soane Britain’s mission is to design and make enduring and life-enhancing furniture, lighting, fabrics and wallpapers through collaborations with a network of the finest craftspeople in Britain. Soane combines responsibly sourced, high quality materials and superb workmanship to ensure our designs endure for generations.
Our talented team is based in offices and workshops in Leicester and the West Country and showrooms in London and New York. For more information, please visit www.soane.com or join our social media platforms Pinterest and Instagram.
Purpose of the Position:
The role of the Material and Workshop Research Specialist is to identify and present new workshop opportunities which match Soane’s sustainability commitments, presenting opportunities to the Product Director to ensure that desirability and feasibility have been evaluated. Once the selection has been narrowed down you will be responsible for the management of setting up the new workshops as well as the handover of research and concept material to the Design Manager or Manufacturing team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with internal and external partners on new technologies and materials that will support the delivery of Soane’s long-term goals
- Liaise with suppliers to obtain costings and concept samples and prototypes where required to demonstrate application of different product categories and/or formats to agreed project timelines
- Monitor industry innovations, standard methodologies and emerging technology advancements to support continuous improvement.
- Continued detailed investigation and analysis to ensure we have a fully transparent supply chain, while identifying raw materials and chemicals which could be sourced more sustainably.
- Provide technical and administrative support to help achieve Soane’s sustainability commitments
- Ensuring we are always striving for best practice
Qualifications for the Position:
- Minimum 5 years ‘experience within the product development sector, preferably lighting and/or furniture
- Able to demonstrate a genuine interest in environmental innovation and sustainability, particularly in the interiors sector
- Relevant knowledge and understanding of UK standards and legislation
- Working knowledge of US standards would be welcomed
- A driving license is essential as there will be a requirement for visiting workshops including our Leicester in-house manufacturing site
- You will have strong collaborative skills and be a confident and capable communicator
- You will be able to work to deadlines with strong planning, prioritisation and time management skills
- You will possess a keen eye for detail, with an appreciation for the highest quality craftsmanship and materials