WE’RE LOOKING FOR AN ASSISTANT TO THE GROUP CHIEF DESIGN OFFICER.
Magnetic Rock is an incubator on a mission to build amazing digital products. Our founders are the same leadership team behind Helical Levity and Spinning Fox, and one of those founders – the Group CDO, Tim Aikin – is looking for a new Assistant to help amplify his impact across the businesses.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The role provides an amazing opportunity for someone with great organisational skills as well as a background and/or desire to work in creative businesses. You might be a designer (of any kind, although visual design, branding design or product design would be most useful) with ambitions to one day play a leadership role in a design business, or an executive assistant with a strong interest in design who has always wished you could apply your skills in a more creative setting. This is a chance to work alongside an experienced design professional as he plays a leadership role in a group of growing design-led businesses.
You’ll be tasked with a variety of responsibilities, including diary management, shadowing in meetings, assisting with creative projects and business oversight, helping run a number of cross-business design and/or people initiatives, research of various kinds, as well as assisting where appropriate on practical design projects (aligned with your skills, experience and interests).
Depending on your creative abilities, some of the things you could be working on right now include:
- Helping design and plan a team building day for over fifty people with an innovative Lego themed design challenge.
- Doing a physical merchandise design asset review for an international cyber security education brand, coming up with new ideas and sourcing suppliers.
- Setting up and helping run a number of cross-business ‘brain trusts’, for designers and others, who will meet to share experience and expertise.
- Helping design the brand for our head office, including sourcing branded physical assets – everything from door mats to signage.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be able to be a trusted ‘right hand’, with high levels of integrity, that can quickly build up a picture of the different businesses, the role Tim plays within them, and find opportunities to increase his impact.
- Be highly self-sufficient, proactive and able to initiate and manage your own workload against the backdrop of Tim’s varied schedule (some days full of meetings, others focused on creative work).
- Be a natural and efficient organiser with experience of (or the ability to learn) key assistant fundamentals like calendar and task management.
- Have a strong interest in design and creative businesses, ideally with some experience in a design specialism, like visual design, branding or product design. Bonus points if you have direct experience working in smaller fast-moving creative and/or product businesses.
- Have excellent communication skills and the ability to converse with a wide range of people with different skill and experience levels.
- Be a calm presence but with relentless positive energy to get the job done.
- Be able to pick up the smallest menial task with complete humility, as well as own and tackle bigger long term projects. You’ll have a selfless approach to a role where your primary goal is to make Tim more effective whilst still developing your own work and skills.
OTHER IMPORTANT DETAILS
- The role is permanent and full-time.
- Salary is negotiable and based on experience.
- The businesses are all remote-first and Tim tends to split his time between the south east of Kent and Ascott-under-Wychwood where we have an amazing office which the businesses share (when Covid restrictions allow), so working from there full or part time is an option.
- Competitive salary. We’re looking for the best talent and we’re willing to pay for it.
- Great equipment. All team members use high spec Mac laptops or iMacs (plus any required peripherals).
- Private healthcare. We offer Vitality health insurance and free eye-tests.
- Generous holiday. 28 days plus bank holidays per year.
- Training and industry events. We’re keen you stay at the top of your game, so we offer bespoke training and development opportunities.
- Part of a bigger team. We’re a small company but part of a bigger collection of companies (including Helical Levity and Spinning Fox) run by the same leadership team.