Hi There! This is probably not the first job description you’ve seen so we’ve done our best to stand out while also accurately presenting what we’re all about. If it sounds like you’d enjoy working with us, don’t hesitate to apply.
What’s a Silverfin?
At Silverfin we’re trying to apply the promise of software to the age-old industry of accounting. With our SaaS we’re automating a large chunk of the busy-work that accountants are currently handling manually, and are building new tools so they can provide better services to their customers. We aim to optimize their workflow in such a way that accountants can spend more time on the much more impactful and rewarding work of advising their customers, the business owners.
The good news is we’re succeeding in doing exactly that. Every day more than 15,000 financial service professionals use Silverfin to help and advise more than 200,000 businesses. Our customers adore us! The even better news is there’s still plenty left to work on, and that’s where we hope you come in.
What’s special about working at Silverfin?
We’re a growing cross-functional remote-first team which is distributed across 14 different countries. A priority for us is maintaining a proper work-life balance. We avoid meetings as much as possible, accept deadlines only when absolutely necessary, and never expect anyone to work longer hours than they’ve signed up for. A day in our working lives is pretty boring in this regard, and we feel that’s exactly how it should be.
Working with us means you can be flexible with your schedule. It’s OK to disappear for a few hours in the middle of the day to run some errands, get a haircut, pick up the kids — whatever reason, you don’t need to explain yourself.
That sounds great but what will you be doing?
- You’ll be joining a growing Product team as one of our first designers
- You’ll be creating experiences for a range of users, like accountants around the world, finding simple solutions for complex user experience challenges
- You’ll develop ways of working that encourage and enable the product team – and the wider business – to put the experience of the end user first, be they accountants, their clients or external contributors to Silverfin’s marketplace
- You’ll help define the user experience design of a complex set of products, while pulling them together to deliver a coherent Silverfin experience
- You’ll use your skills in UI/UX, interaction design and basic coding or prototyping to quickly solve problems and to conceptualise new ideas for teams across the business
- You’ll be involved in a variety of projects, ensuring the integrity of design and UI and championing user-centred design principles
A bit more about you
- You have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and developing ideas and solutions based on insight
- You recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to validate them
- You have a toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- You’re an empathetic team player, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design or challenging ways of working
- You’re experienced working in a cross-functional agile environment or a startup
- You know your strengths and recognise there’s always more to learn
- You can communicate clearly in English, both written and verbally
What can we offer you?
- Actual, proper work-life balance
- Choose your own working hours, working from one of our offices in Ghent or London, or work 100% remotely
- Personal growth training and opportunities
- Join a distributed remote-first engineering team with colleagues in different countries
- A refreshing work environment with professional, friendly and welcoming colleagues
- A €1000 yearly budget for conferences, courses, workshops or other expenses that will improve your skills
- You have at least 4 years of experience working in design, of which 2+ years have been as a UI designer
- You get UI design and you’re more passionate about UI than UX
- Your work hours have some overlap with EU business hours (we require your local timezone to be within CET +/- 3h)