Currently Axis are expanding their Art Department and are seeking an experienced, talented Art Director to join them onsite in Glasgow on an ongoing basis.
This a great opportunity for an exceptional individual with an eye for amazing imagery to join a passionate team of artists in one of the UK’s leading studios.
The Art Director role involves project leadership and applying creative ingenuity to a wide range of art and design challenges within the studio. A high degree of talent and skill is required and prospective candidates will be expected to be able to conceptualize design briefs, and carry out the execution of various types of work to a very high standard during both pitch and production stages of projects going through the studio.
- Generate inspirational, innovative concepts, designs, renderings and creative ideas.
- Produce various types of artwork to support concepts, designs and ideas, to a high standard and within agreed timescales as required – eg: Storyboards, Production renderings, Sketches, Design documents and layouts, Colour Scripts, Backdrops, Matte paintings, etc.
- Provide feedback, direction and supervision to other artists within the art department, some of whom may be external to the studio or off-site.
- Support the work of Producers, Directors, Creative Directors and other Creative leads in the pitch and pre-production, and production stages of projects.
- Support CG supervisors, team leads and other CG artists in their work by clearly communicating and helping the team achieve art direction goals, and feeding back on work produced where required.
- Create, design and innovate, in collaboration with others or individually, to suit the task at hand.
- Help to motivate, manage and produce effective results across the art team, providing senior support where necessary.
- Deliver results that meets and exceeds expectations, ensuring a reliable contact with the team and clients when required.
- Present concepts and design ideas, listen to feedback and make recommendations that are achievable within budget and schedule.
- Extensive Portfolio showing examples of the following types of work: Concept design, Production Design, Illustration, Storyboards, Colour scripts, Matte painting. (Whilst we do not necessarily expect candidates to have experience in all of these areas, a wide range of skills is a key criteria).
- Ability to work in a variety of styles, with an emphasis on realistic material .
- A keen and critical eye for framing, composition, colour, lighting, design, style and impact, with excellent attention to detail.
- Minimum 3 years previous experience in Art Direction, Production Design, Illustration or Conceptual Artist roles.
- Ability to mentor and supervise other artists.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – clear and precise communication regarding art and design related matters within the team and with clients and management is a core responsibility.
- A strong sense of Initiative, and the ability to self manage, multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- In depth knowledge of Photoshop.
- Honours or postgraduate level degree in Art and Design related field.
- Ability to conceptualise directly in 3d and/or demonstrable experience with CG content creation applications such as modo, maya, z-brush, etc.
- Motion Graphics experience (including knowledge of after Effects, Nuke or similar).