The Walker Books Group is one of the world’s leading independent publishers of books and content for children. Walker Books UK is part of the vibrant international Group that includes Candlewick Press in America, Walker Books Australia and Walker Productions.
Renowned for its truly original publishing and outstanding quality, the Walker Books Group is home to a huge range of children’s and young adult books. Award-winning authors and illustrators for the group include Angie Thomas who has recently won the CILIP Amnesty Honour, Waterstones Children’s Book Prize and the British Book Awards Best Children’s Book for The Hate U Give. Also, Sydney Smith who won the CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal for Town is by the Sea, M.T Anderson, Patrick Ness, and Jon Klassen. The major brands for the group are Maisy, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, Guess How Much I Love You, Tilly and Friends, the widely acclaimed Judy Moody and the bestselling Where’s Wally/Where’s Waldo.
To ensure that the highest quality design work is project managed and carried out within the agreed brief, within budget and on schedule. This role will have a primary focus on full colour illustrated book design, reporting to the Deputy Creative Director and is based within the 6+ COLOUR department.
Project manage assigned titles by producing and confirming final specification, costs and schedule with Production and other departments and monitor progress/report any divergence where necessary
Evaluate costs, technical constraints and market requirements balance cost/quality/time
Organise, attend and ensure meetings are documented as required
Prioritise work using key dates
- Design each allocated project in consultation with the illustrator, author and editor
- Establish and explore the design brief, working within budget, schedule and according to technical constraints and market requirements
- Work closely with the illustrator and respond with feedback on work supplied, monitor and report on progress
- Place work with external suppliers and freelancers to meet the specification: this includes briefing them on design, maintaining schedule, monitoring quality of work
- Check proofs and ozalids accurately and efficiently
- Ensure approval at specific stages of design process
- Follow company systems of working to supply sales and other materials as required
- Where required, produce cutter guides and work to produce a product which meets legal safety standards
- Prepare projects correctly for print and reprographic requirements following company systems of working. Good reprographic knowledge is essential
- Work to company technical standards including keeping files in good order
- Ensure awareness of new technology and practices
- Translate design ideas onto the Mac
- Indesign and Photoshop expertise a necessity (and a good working knowledge of Illustrator also valuable)
- Proven experience in book design across all areas
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment
- A passion and enthusiasm for Children’s books
- To be a positive and confident team player
- Experience of designing novelty books
What you’ll receive?
- Competitive Salary
- 22 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 1 day extra per year)
- Health Insurance and Medical Cashback Scheme
- Enhanced Pension Contributions
- Life Assurance
- On-site subsidised canteen
- Plus other great benefits!
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to this principle and providing a safe and supportive work environment.
Closing Date: 11/10/2020