59 Productions is a world-leader in designing and delivering stage productions, museum installations, large-scale events, VR and interactive pieces for audiences across the globe. Working inside leading theatres, museums, and stadiums, as well as projection mapping the facades of iconic architecture, 59 are the go-to team for generating creative and technical ideas to realise ambitious artistic projects. 59 Productions have created a number of award-winning VR projects, including Grenfell: Our Home and Nothing to be Written and have recently been developing an MR project combining Magic Leap and projection mapping.
We work collaboratively to challenge traditional methods and push the boundaries of what can be achieved exploring new technologies including XR, real time animation and interactive media, and the addition of a permanent Realtime 3D/Technical Artist to the Design Department is part of expanding our capabilities in these areas.
Under 59’s creative direction, artists from a range of disciplines – animators, architects, writers, technologists, musicians, set, sound, video and lighting designers – come together with technical specialists, to expand their practice and create exciting and innovative work for live audiences in the hundreds of thousands. Our team embraces the search for interesting ways to use new technology to tell amazing stories.
We are searching for a proactive Realtime Technical Artist to join the Design Department, to focus on the 3D and VFX content creation workflows and to support the 3D team in the design process and production pipeline for asset creation for Realtime and game engines. In this role you would create interactive demos in game engines and renderers and develop and maintain the art production workflow.
You will be an integral part of the Design Department, contributing to the conceptual development of our projects and taking a creative approach whilst understanding the technical constraints of a project.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who will build close relationships with internal creative and external development teams and take a proactive approach to educating our team, both remotely and on-site. In addition to this we are looking for a candidate who can efficiently solve problems and who is committed to keeping themselves at the forefront of game engine and immersive technology developments.
A successful candidate will play a key role in the Design Department, helping to deliver cutting edge projects which are presented on a world stage, and shape the next phase of 59’s development as a company.
● A highly motivated 3D/Technical Artist with a portfolio demonstrating your ability to make beautiful things in Real-time
● A design professional with experience in 3D and Technical/Graphics Development specifically for game engine and VR environments
● A keen interest in live performance and public art projects and an enthusiasm for working on creative and varied projects
● A highly organized individual who can work independently, as well as collaboratively across departments and disciplines
● A creative individual who is able to develop or integrate assets into experiences without sacrificing artistic vision or exceeding the technical limits of the platform
● An enthusiasm for learning new packages and engines i.e Houdini, Rhino
● A willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally
● Professional experience working in game development or other real-time entertainment, or equivalent professional experience
● Professional full-time experience using one or more interactive content engines (e.g Unity, Unreal, in-house)
● Proven experience creating 3D visuals including particles, lighting, atmospherics, post-processing, and/or shaders and other VFX for applications
● An understanding of the technical art asset delivery for all assets for within a real-time use game environment
● Experience with modelling, texturing, shading surfacing, rigging, animation, lighting and rendering
● Confident with profiling and performance optimization of applications
● Knowledge of rendering fundamentals, with experience in both high-end rendering engines and 3D mobile rendering engines and with writing shaders for real-time rendering
● Excellent skills in Adobe Creative suite, particularly Photoshop & Illustrator and knowledge of a 3D package such as Cinema 4D, 3DS Max or Maya
● Experience working on video game development on Unreal, Unity or similar engines
● Expertise in 3D content (meshes, textures) and tools (Houdini, Maya, 3D Studio)
● Excellent scripting skills, ideally in C# with the ability to rapidly turn ideas into prototypes.