PCORI is seeking a Senior Visual Communications Designer with advanced-level skills and experience to join our dynamic Content and Creative Communication team in Washington, DC. This individual is responsible for the design, creation, and production of a variety of internal and external graphic and multimedia products aimed at increasing stakeholder engagement and furthering PCORI’s vision and mission.
From concept through execution, this candidate will improve our user experience by bringing our brand to life and keeping it consistent across all our various touchpoints. The ideal candidate is a creative maverick who can work across many teams and platforms, and understand the nuances of daily project management. They possess exceptional communications skills, creative design craftsmanship, intellectual curiosity, and a focus on developing innovative work. The individual will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of high-quality work that promotes PCORI and its brand within tight deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities include:
- Partner closely with our content team and subject matter experts to develop new and innovative formats and strategies for storytelling and engaging with our audiences. This includes the creation of infographics, data visualizations, guides, reports, illustrations, animations, and more to showcase PCORI’s impact and propel our brand forward.
- Deliver excellent design solutions by leveraging expertise in color, type, illustration, photography, animation and various digital, print and layout techniques. Is a self-starter and manages projects from concept to completion.
- Work closely with the Visual Communications Manager and Associate Director of Content and Creative to up-level our branding, develop new creative concepts, and further position PCORI as a leading funder of patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research in the United States.
- Create designs for cross-channel projects like social media graphics and other digital resources, plus collaborate with our videographers on various projects across the organization.
- Ensure brand consistency and compliance throughout all design and promotional-related initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within communications, and across PCORI.
- Advise on best practices and optimizations throughout design projects.
- Develop design briefs that outline the deliverables and project scope, including all tasks, aesthetic considerations, timing, and budget.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Advanced knowledge of production best practices for print and digital.
- Expert in core Adobe Creative Cloud apps – AI, INDD, PSD.
- Strong creative, organizational, problem solving, and time-management skills.
- Curated online portfolio showcasing relevant, innovative, and thoughtful design solutions.
- Mastery of layout, typography, photography, and color theory and how they function as a system to communicate clearly and define a brand.
- Understanding of mobile-first design methodology for email marketing – responsive web design, content strategy, and information architecture,
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and collaborative tools such as Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, digital whiteboards, etc.
- Strategic thinker who can offer a variety of design solutions.
- Great team player with strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Digital experience a must.
- 6+ years of experience as a senior designer, graphic designer, multimedia designer, or similar role in an in-house creative department or design firm.
- Four-year, BS degree in Design, Visual Arts, or relevant field.
- Experienced working with videography, photography, 3D animation, and interactive products.
- Experience managing brands and supporting brand guidelines.
- Experience designing health or healthcare-related content preferred.