- Fulltime, with flexible work schedule
- Hybrid location with 2+ days / week in Cambridge
- C.£46,000 – £55,000 plus benefits
- 5+ years digital product design experience required
We’re looking for an experienced digital product designer to join the growing team at Fluent.
As Senior Product Designer you’ll have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of exciting digital products – everything from digital healthcare to sustainable transport, understanding the complex business requirements of the client and building the most innovative experiences for the user.
Fluent is a digital product development agency, working on the web in a variety of disciplines to provide creative, clever solutions to tricky business problems. We take pride in getting to the real root of the problem – understanding what our clients want, and delivering what they need.
We’re an elegant bunch (believe it or not), at least when it comes to our work. We don’t believe in shortcuts, and it’s one of the reasons so many of our clients keep coming back to us as their business grows. They know we’ll do everything we can to help them thrive.
We care about creating a workplace for Fluenteers to thrive, too. We don’t have a formal management structure – or office politics – we work together in various combinations depending on the technical demands of each project.
Working at Fluent means you’ll enjoy a high-level of autonomy and have the chance to work with a friendly, incredibly accomplished bunch. That, alongside a competitive pay package and a host of benefits, to reflect the value of the work you do.
We have a no long-hours culture and our philosophy is to work smart, so while we get a kick out of doing our job, we value the hours outside of it too.
What you’ll be working on
- You’ll lead design on client projects – ensuring that accessibility, usability, design and realisation are all on-point in delivery of a successful result.
- You’ll work on a wide variety of interesting and challenging projects – quickly getting to a deep understanding of how our clients tick and the problems they’re trying to solve.
- You’ll be embedded in cross-functional teams, championing design within agile teams made up of both Fluenteers and staff from client organisations.
- You’ll help raise the bar for design within Fluent. In our small team every member plays a critical role in improving our practice.
- You’ll help coordinate other members of the creative team – making sure that we each contribute in the most effective and efficient way.
You should apply if
- You’re a designer with at least 5 years of experience designing great products.
- You’re excited by the idea of quickly diving deep into new fields of knowledge and new domains.
- You’re highly proficient in producing wireframes, working prototypes and high-fidelity designs. Ideally you’ll be an expert with Figma – but Sketch and XD converts are also welcome.
- You’re very familiar with multiple aspects of both UX research and UX/UI design.
- You’re an advocate for the user – empathetic to their needs and striving to design inclusive, accessible experiences for all.
- You’re a strong communicator. Your day will involve regular contact with PMs, engineers and other designers – so you’ll need to be effective at communicating well as part of a team.
- You’ve worked previously with design systems – creating and maintaining them on behalf of product teams for the benefit of all.
- You have a strong working knowledge of design patterns for the web and ideally for Android and iOS too.
- You care about the little things – sweating the small stuff that makes for a polished experience but pragmatic in balancing the ideal experience with other technical and business constraints.
- You’re highly organised – ensuring that long running projects are constantly evolving to ensure that they remain maintainable into the future.
- You’re a confident writer – both in communicating with other people and in using content as part of your design. The copy on your designs is never an afterthought.
- You’re familiar with agile methodologies and practices. We’re an agile team (and frequently our clients are too) so you’ll be expected to participate in backlog refinement, standups and retrospectives.
In addition to the above you’ll need to be:
- Educated to degree level
- Legal to work in the UK
- Able to work often at our office in Histon, Cambridge, and remotely in case of the occasional pandemic. We’re still finding our feet with a mixed-mode of working to get the best all-round results for the team however we envisage spending at least 1-2 days per week in the office, more for those who want to
In return we can offer:
- A super friendly team of experienced peers to work with
- A good work-life balance and a flexible schedule with part time options available
- A hybrid (part office/part remote) work location
- A competitive, annually reviewed salary depending on your experience
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus a flexible bank holiday entitlement
- Pension contributions, matched by Fluent up to 8%
- Life insurance based on 4 x annual salary
- Healthcare plan including dental and optical care for you and your family
- £200 annual wellbeing contribution
- Enhanced parental leave policy
- Regular team lunches and team socials
- Cycle to work scheme
- £500 annual learning and development budget
- 1 day per month learning and development time
How to apply
In addition to your CV tell us a little about yourself: your situation, background and personality. Show us some of the projects you’ve worked on in the past.
Finally, mention five websites you check regularly and the last book you read (or keep by your pillow with the hope of reading by osmosis).