We’re searching for a passionate and dedicated Senior Designer & Art Director to join our growing in-house team. Based in Brighton, we’re an animation studio with a passion for making motion matter. We work with brands, agencies and non-profits from tech giants like Google to local B-Corps like World of Books. We’re hoping to find someone to take our design production to the next level and grow the quality and breadth of our creative output.
Take a peek at our reel to see if it’s the type of stuff you’d like to make.
This is a client-facing role. Working alongside our Creative Director and Head of Production, you’ll be exploring solutions to client briefs and presenting ideas. We want someone to drive us forward, developing new and exciting concepts to be brought to life through motion. This role will also be another lead and support to the creative team; providing help and guidance to develop their design and illustration skills.
We see this role as a pathway to becoming our Design Director in the future.
Here are some qualities that are really important to us – if they’re shared by you then it’s likely you’ll be a great fit for our studio: attention to detail, dedication, collaboration, ambition, honesty and openness.
We welcome applications from all ages, stories and backgrounds. Having a diverse team of personalities and experiences is important to us as a company.
Whilst we appreciate that team collaboration is possible in remote environments, we believe working face-to-face as a team fosters better collaboration, relationships and staff wellbeing. We therefore won’t be considering any remote working applications and the successful candidate will need to work from our Brighton studio primarily. That said, we know flexibility contributes towards a good work-life balance and we try to be as accommodating as possible.
About the role
Key responsibilities and activities:
- Drive forward all visual output to improve the quality and breadth of our work.
- Share client-facing responsibilities with our Creative Director and Head of Production, understanding project requirements in detail.
- Be another source of knowledge and experience to support the creative team’s development.
- Support the Head of Production with creative production (digesting client feedback and coming up with creative solutions, storytelling, music selection, script ideas).
- Lead and facilitate creative ideation sessions internally.
- Work on new project proposals, creating engaging visual and written content.
- Present ideas and visuals to clients both for live projects and pitches for new work.
- Produce artwork for projects and develop art direction for others to follow.
- Create quick mock-ups, sketches, and wireframes to illustrate ideas internally and externally.
- Contribute to the development of the Buff brand and create marketing materials.
Qualities and skills:
- Excellent practical design skills using Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Experience in 3D (ideally Cinema 4D) would be hugely beneficial but not essential.
- A passionate and talented problem solver.
- A brilliant hands-on creative with ideas for original styles and looks.
- Top communication and presenting skills to clearly explain ideas and concepts to clients.
- Strong storytelling ability and interest in scripting and animation direction.
- Passion for mentoring and coaching to help the creative team’s development.
- Able to delegate activities across the creative team.
- Up-to-date knowledge of design techniques, tools and trends.
What we offer
The wellbeing of our team is super important. We want everyone to feel valued, supported and challenged. Here are some of the ways we do that:
- Private medical cover, including dental, eye care and mental health support
- 20 holiday days, plus Bank Holidays
- Extra paid days off between Christmas and New Year when the studio closes
- 1 additional holiday day per year of service (up to 5 days)
- 10 days ‘working vacation’ from anywhere in the world
- 5 paid volunteer days
- Option to work 1 day per week from home
- 6-monthly pay reviews
- Enhanced company pension scheme
- Dedicated monthly development day away from project work to further your skills
- Budget for professional development by application
- Monthly team socials
- Quarterly team away days: time to try new things and learn new skills outside of what we do every day
Check out our Studio page to read more about our company culture and ethos.
£40k – £60k per year, dependent on skills and experience.
No recruiters or agencies please. We enjoy taking care of our own recruitment.
If this all sounds up your street, then we’d love to hear from you. Please send over the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A short message telling us a bit about you, your ambitions and why you feel the role is right for you.
- Your CV with any relevant experience listed, ideally as a PDF.
- Your LinkedIn profile, if you have one.
- A link to your portfolio or other work examples online – please do not send attachments.
- An indication of your salary expectations and your ideal start date.
Applications close: Sunday 12th February 2023 at midnight
Interviews: Throughout March
Start date: Flexible, ASAP from our side
Unfortunately, being a small and busy studio, we may not be able to respond to every application. But please know that we appreciate everyone who takes the time and energy to apply. We know how long it can take to carefully craft your application. We are very grateful 🙂