The Junior Graphic Designer will work under the supervision of the existing Senior Graphic Designer to manage the in-house design output of The Old Vic. They will be a key member of the Marketing and Comms team, collaborating with the Marketing campaigns team to ensure timely and creative design solutions for marketing campaigns for all our productions, as well as supporting the design needs of all departments across the organisation. The role is predominantly focused on design for print and branding, though there is a digital design element involved where necessary (in collaboration with the Digital and Social Content Designer).
The Junior Graphic Designer will work closely with the Senior Graphic Designer, as well as with the Senior Digital Content Producer, the Digital and Social Content Designer, the Communications and Digital Manager, and the Marketing Campaigns and Communications team.
Areas of responsibility
The Junior Graphic Designer will be responsible for:
- To work under the guidance of the Senior Graphic Designer to design and produce finished artwork for printed marketing materials, print and digital campaign assets, production programmes, assets and packaging, Development department and Education & Community department artwork, generic theatre artwork, website visuals, signage and any other Old Vic related artwork.
- Liaise with clients, printers and suppliers externally and all departments internally.
- To work with all departments and meet their design requirements as and when needed and to agreed deadlines under the supervision of the Senior Graphic Designer.
- To assist in the production of Old Vic programmes.
- To adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- To take responsibility for procurement of design studio supplies.
- To ensure all work is archived and backed up.
- To maintain workstation, manage files on the server and keep to an agreed naming protocol.
- To support the Director of Digital Strategy and Audience Engagement, the Head of Marketing and Audience Development and the Head of Communications, alongside the Marketing and Comms team in ensuring The Old Vic brand and sub brands are used consistently and are in keeping with our brand guidelines at all times.
- To assist the Senior Graphic Designer with external design agencies and suppliers as instructed by the Director of Digital Strategy and Audience Engagement and the Head of Marketing and Audience Development.
- To keep up-to-date with industry trends and developments.
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties and The Old Vic’s management may, at any time, allocate other tasks which are of a similar nature or level.
- Experience in design for print and digital media.
- Experience of setting up files for print.
- Strong typography skills.
- Experience of working within brand guidelines.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator CC.
- Proven ability to create impactful and fresh and contemporary designs, taking a project from brief through to delivery of the final artwork.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Display a good design eye.
- Have a keen eye for detail and good communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple briefs at the same time and manage time effectively across these.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to prioritise a varied workload.
- Ability to manage and prioritise the creatively exciting elements of the role with the more strategic brand requirements.
Department/Team: Marketing & Comms
Responsible to: Senior Graphic Designer
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week from 10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. The Old Vic offers the ability to work these flexibly under the guidelines in our New Ways of Working policy. Additional hours may be necessary in order to fulfil the requirements of the post.
The closing date for this role is 4 January 2022. First stage conversations are likely to take place w/c 10 January 2022.