We are looking for a junior graphic designer to join our multidisciplinary design team in our vibrant London studio. You will get hands-on experience working at every stage of our projects, as we deliver innovative wayfinding and information systems for the world’s leading cities, organisations and institutions.
We are an established, award-winning, multi-disciplinary consultancy that designs the interactions between people and the built environment. We offer a career in an important and immersive field at the intersection of design and planning with clients that represent household names around the world.
About the role
Working at Applied means working on all aspects of the design process. From user research, through strategy and concept, to detailed design and implementation. We expect designers to be highly motivated and passionate, with a keen graphic eye and ambition to deliver projects of the highest quality.
We’re looking for conceptual thinkers with a strong graphic/typographic focus, who have the discipline and ambition to turn their concepts into refined design solutions as part of the information systems we deliver.
Prior wayfinding experience is not required for this role; we are looking for outstanding graphic designers who have an eagerness to apply their skills to wayfinding contexts in the built environment, print, and digital applications. Experience in UX/UI design would be beneficial but is not essential.
You will be joining our established office in Covent Garden. The role will be predominantly studio based though we also operate flexible working arrangements and support home working.
What we are looking for
We will select applicants based on merit including relevant experience, demonstrated ability, and commitment to the role. We are looking for a candidate with:
- 1–2 years experience within the design industry and must demonstrate a solid understanding of user-centered design principles, and an ability to ideate, visualise and iterate strong design concepts.
- A portfolio that demonstrates graphic and typographic skills, and your dedication to the craft of your final designs. At Applied we like design thinkers who champion the meaningful as much as the beautiful.
- The ability to talk and write articulately about your decision making and the developmental work behind your designs. As well as being highly collaborative, you will be proactive in approach, and efficient at working on your own initiative.
- Proficiency in and be up-to-date with the latest software required for the role. The company predominantly uses Google Workspace (Slides, Docs, Sheets), Slack, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Prior experience involving UX/UI design, branding, industrial/product design, exhibition design, editorial design or BIM, 3D modelling/rendering are highly appreciated
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is an advantage but not essential. Spanish-speaking applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
We are looking for people who share our perspective and have an active interest in the creative industries including architecture, urban design, digital or graphic design.
We are a company that is fully committed to advancing people and society and looking after the planet. Applied is currently working towards B-Corp certification. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age. If you are interested but unsure if you have what we are looking for please contact us.
How to apply
Please attach a short cover letter introducing yourself and how you feel you could contribute to the team at Applied, your resume, portfolio and your LinkedIn profile, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure the email subject states the role: Designer (London studio).
We appreciate your interest in this role and thank you for taking the time to apply. We may have a high volume of responses but will endeavour to get back to everyone who applies.
Looking forward to hearing from you.