As our agency grows we are looking for a Design Director to join the leadership of our outstanding creative team. The role is to support the Creative Director in leading and inspiring the creative team while upholding our creative vision and design ethos of being creatively rare and commercially right.
We are looking for someone with not just outstanding creative abilities but leadership, management and communication skills too. You will be working very closely with our client services and strategy team to lead the creative team in delivering projects to clients on time, on brief and on budget.
It will also be expected for you to work closely with clients, presenting work with client services and strategy and acting as the creative voice in client meetings. You will be leading a team of up to six designers at any one time over multiple projects. You will be coached by the creative director to manage, inspire and influence the team’s creativity. You will have presence, gravitas and the ability to hold your own in even the most challenging client situations while representing our core ethos of being fun to work with and fun to work for.
This role is about driving and improving the creative vision of the team as a whole. We are not just looking for a world-class designer but an inspiring creative leader too.
A successful applicant will have:
- Previous experience at Design Director level in a top agency environment
- A flawless portfolio demonstrating work that ties with our Creatively Rare, Commercially Right design ethos with strong packaging experience
- Ability to demonstrate leadership experience and qualities
- A track record in working positively with others
- Experience in working with A level clients on complex projects
- Ability to demonstrate coaching others towards positive outcomes
- A commercial view and strategic understanding when it comes to design
- A professional manner when it comes to internal and external communication
Project and Design Leadership
- Lead on projects from start to finish both internally and with clients
- Working daily with Strategy and Account leads to deliver projects on time and on budget
- Being the lead decision-maker on creative from creative territories through to production
- Working with Strategy and Accounts to sign off briefs and ensure they capture the correct vision for the project, in line with client interactions and commercial goals
- Have a strong understanding of your clients’ business, needs and capabilities in order to sell our designs with conviction and commercial acumen, as well as to help spot future opportunities for us to unlock strategically & creatively
- Leading a design team of multiple designers of all different levels – motivating, inspiring and getting the best results from your team to hit the brief and produce creatively rare commercially right work
- Liaising with other specialists outsourced on a project, giving them clear creative direction and managing their output (i.e. illustrator, typographer, photographer, etc)
- You may have projects where you are the lead but won’t be doing the work and will need to get the best results from the team without being on the tools yourself, so giving clear guidance and feedback is critical
- Leading multiple projects and teams at different stages at one time
- Working with the Creative Director at a higher level on projects to make key decisions and get the best from projects but responsibility for delivering your projects will lie with you
- Work with the other Design Directors and Creative Director to get the best from their projects. Forming a senior design team that supports and inspires each other to create the very best work across the agency
- Working wholeheartedly with the intention of advancing the team and agency rather than the individual
- Offering your skills, experience and expertise to elevate projects across the agency and upskill the wider design team.
- Supporting the Creative Director in developing the design team
- We firmly believe in developing the talent we have and giving them the opportunity to progress in their careers, we expect senior members of the design team to take on board the responsibility of continued mentorship and improvement of the team as a whole
- Offering guidance and mentorship to each level of the design team to help them progress and deliver the best work for the agency
- Continuing to define what building brands the Thirst way means, feeding into training at different levels.
- When working on projects raising the bar and continuing to push and develop your own skills to be the best they can
- Creating work within our Creatively Rare, Commercially Right ethos
- Proactively keep a finger on the pulse of best-in-class brand design case studies, both within drinks and beyond, in order to draw learnings from and inspire the studio’s thinking and approach
- Delivering outstanding work across a range of sectors within the drinks industry
- Being a key part of moving towards our goal of being the best drinks branding and packaging agency in the world
- Supporting the Creative Director in the continued refinement and development of our creative process
- Being a key part in setting standards and our creative vision for the agency.
- Being the client-facing design lead on pitches
- Working closely with Strategy and Account Directors to deliver and win pitches as a team
- Leading any creative aspects of the pitch and delivering to the client.
We are open to remote workers for this position (UK only), though you must be able to travel to the studio in Glasgow at least quarterly.
If this sounds right up your street a competitive salary, flexible working culture, private health cover, Headspace subscription and unlimited holiday are just for starters.
Excited? Hell yes. Interested? Then hit the Apply by Email butto and send a CV, portfolio of your top 5 projects and tell us about yourself and what you would bring to the team.