White Lion Publishing – a leading illustrated book publisher – produces books with a well-deserved reputation for style and quality. We are looking for a Junior Designer to join our creative and dynamic team, based in our busy Islington office.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about great book design and who has plenty of new and creative ideas to bring to the team. A minimum of 1 year’s graphic design experience is preferred for this position.
• Design 5–10 titles a year from start to finish, working on interior and cover design
• Briefing, providing guidance and feedback on artwork supplied from external sources
• Checking proofs and ensuring all titles are approved for press with high standard of design
• Assist with Book Fair and Sales Conference preparation, creating sales materials and updating catalogues when required
• Manage and deliver re-use/reformat programme for trade and special sales customers
• Proficient in using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
• Strong typographic skills and attention to detail
• Team player with excellent communication skills
• Ability to work in fast paced environment and multi-task
Key Results Areas
1. Provide design assistance to the Art Director and Senior Designer.
1. Assist with design work on titles as needed, Greenlighting titles handed over from the Art Director/Senior Designer or from an external designer,
and liaising with Production.
2. Check proofs and/or plotters as needed.
3. Create sales materials, ensuring they are kept up to date and handle marketing materials requests.
4. Assist with Book Fair and Sales Conference preparation, updating catalogues when required.
5. Assisting with producing mood boards and guidance for stylists, photographers, illustrators and designers, attending and assisting on photoshoots
6. Manage the archiving system, ensuring files are archived correctly when they have been approved for print, ensuring that ePub files are available
7. Working with the Editorial Assistant and Production teams on reprint titles, adjusting, updating, correcting and checking files when needed.
2. Design individual books.
1. Design 5–10 titles a year from start to finish, working on interior and cover design. Briefing and providing guidance and feedback on artwork
supplied from external sources.
2. Ensure all your titles are Greenlit before sending them to Production.
3. Check proofs, ensuring a high standard for design on your titles.
4. Manage re-use projects/reformats for special sales customers.
5. Work with the Art Director/Publisher to deliver the reuse/paperback programme.