This is a fantastic opportunity to join a busy and ambitious team, working in a unique central government environment on stimulating accounts that make a difference to people’s lives.
You will be responsible for the creative output of a design and artworking team in Design102, providing services across central government. You will be confident and passionate about design and relish the challenge of leading a busy team working with multiple clients on a broad range of projects. You will bring strategic creative understanding, while providing a focus on quality. With a desire to always deliver the best result, you will enjoy collaborating with others from across the organisation while being open to new ideas.
With experience in creative direction, leading creatives and managing people, you will enjoy being involved in the day to day whilst maintaining the ability to consider the bigger picture. This is a new role helping define the future and shape the development of Design102.
Leading our artwork and information team, and two of our design teams, the Head of Design & Artwork is responsible for developing and managing all aspects of team creative output. It’s a leadership role, with accountability for online and offline design output and the commercial success of the team.
You will ensure creative solutions are aligned to client expectations and delivered within budget and timescales. The role also involves working with internal and external clients, pitching designs, and understanding client needs. This is a hands-on role that may require you to develop designs, and at other times, be responsible for recruiting and managing third party suppliers as well as internal design resources.
Reporting to the Managing Director, and working closely with the Head of Client Services, and the Head of Design & Video, you will use your experience and knowledge to implement new processes and practices that enhance creativity and improve efficiency throughout the studio.
• Directly managing Artwork Managers, Design Managers and Senior Designers, you will provide leadership across two of our creative design teams and our information design & artwork team.
• Championing projects through supporting managers, designers and artworkers with considered, informed and inspiring creative direction
• Ensure that your team’s work at all stages of the process meets or exceeds client expectations
• Review work, troubleshoot and provide feedback to creative teams
• Sign off projects before they are presented to the client
• Influencing design led thinking across the business
• Commercial accountability through accurate scoping and quoting of work
• Develop and manage productivity and continuously improve the team’s production capabilities
• Improve quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; recommending changes to art, and production departments.
• Establishing and developing best practice with the team
• Adopting a ‘hands-on’ approach when required to help the team
• Ensuring the right resource is available and that the creative team is involved from the beginning of projects
• Remain actively involved in hiring and training creative staff – mentoring, developing and coaching the team
• Creating a confident, inquisitive, inspiring and positive culture
• Member of Design102 Senior Management Team
Skills and experience
• Degree in a design related subject or equivalent practical on the job experience
• A proven track record of design, direction and studio experience, working with both the private and public sector
• Good judgement, analytical skills and demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels
• The ability to understand and translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
• Good commercial awareness to monitor cost effectiveness of service delivery
• Proven management and leadership skills
• A strong working knowledge of online and offline design, brand development and the creative process
• You will have an intimate understanding of design, artworking, print and digital using appropriate software
• Excellent organisational skills, and attention to detail
Applications should be by curriculum vitae and covering letter. Please also include, or provide a link to, a portfolio including examples of work you have delivered directly, and work that you have led a team of creatives to deliver.