Wanted: Senior UX Researcher
(Challenging, important work, mainly remote, competitive salary and benefits, brilliant people to work with, huge staff discount, an amazing culture of freedom and responsibility, and a total lack of corporate bullshit)
We’re looking for a Senior UX Researcher to lead the way in our newly formed UX research capacity primarily focused on our retail and trade customers. You’ll be responsible for providing valuable insights to the product team, and colleagues across the business.
Who we are
We’re a multi-award-winning drinks and technology start-up on a mission to disrupt the drinks industry.
We’re re-imagining online drinks retail from the ground up, using cutting edge technology and fanatical customer service to build a company we want to be customers of and create unexpected delight as we help people explore, buy and enjoy high end whisky and other spirits.
In everything we do, we are disruptive innovators; it is baked into our DNA to challenge orthodoxy and received wisdom wherever we find it.
We’ve grown a lot since we were just a few kids in a shed with big dreams, but we haven’t lost our hunger to build something great, and we’re looking for people who have the same passion for making things better to join us on that journey.
In the last 10 years we’ve become the number 1 player in our industry, but we’ve barely gotten started. We’re excited about the future, so if you’d like to come and help us build it, read on!
About the role
Aligning with the broader strategy and in collaboration with numerous Product Managers, you’ll define a research plan and run research projects with those in your team and partners across the business.
You will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on our platforms delivering customer insights where we’ve not had them before. You’ll be able to establish UX processes such as a research repository and work with teams to instil the voice of the customer into our products.
In your first 30 days… you’ll go on a crash course to deeply understand our (very) complex vertically integrated business. You’ll also likely be introduced to some key projects to see how we work together and level-up your understanding on specific Product Groups. You’ll be getting regular check-ins from your team along the way.
In your first 60 days… you’ll start bringing together your new knowledge, making recommendations for how we can approach integrating UX into our process. You’ll be brought into specific projects to help plan and execute the research side of things. You will be supported by designers and other Product team members.
In your first 90 days… you’ll be running your own show, you’ll be leading UX projects, writing user stories and collaborating closely with Project managers. You may also be mentoring other designers who will be collaborating closely with you on UX Research tasks.
Some more about the day to day role;
- Mostly remote work but it would be great if you could travel to our offices in Tonbridge or Brighton when needed.
- Varied, interesting work with Product Managers to translate research into deliverable features and user stories
- Tangible Impact! Go beyond user requirements by understanding what the problem and desired outcomes are
- Engage your creativity to create and communicate personas and user flows.
- To build a research repository in Jira, define research scopes and lay the foundations for a strong UX capacity at Atom Group
- To look out for ways to improve work processes
- Present summarised findings to stakeholders advocating on behalf of the user
- Educate, mentor, and exemplify good UX research practices with a flexible, agile mindset
- To Lead the UX research process for multiple projects
- Co-design and work collaboratively with cross-discipline teams including other designers, researchers, strategists and developers and other digital disciplines to uncover, define and communicate user needs, pain points, values and behaviours that drive experience opportunities and design
- You want to build cutting-edge, respected UX Research function that can do what others can’t.
- You are highly intelligent, tenacious and motivated. You are utterly intolerant of corporate bullshit and mediocrity.
- You have a positive can-do attitude, you learn fast, and relish a challenge. You question things and need to understand them on a deep level. You get out of bed each morning excited to get cracking and make things better.
- You are exceptionally curious and creative – solving hard problems is what gets you out of bed in the morning.
- You love efficiency and hate waste in all its forms – you relentlessly automate and eliminate repetitive tasks. You are extremely proud of how little manual repetitive work your department does. You build a culture of continuous improvement.
What You’ll need
- You understand ‘just enough research’
- You have top-notch presentation skills; you’re an excellent communicator written and verbal
- Excellent listening and negotiation skills with clients and senior management
- Experience working in e-commerce is a plus
- You are flexible, adaptive, observant, and questioning
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- You have a minimum of 8 years of experience as a User Experience designer, at least 4 years of experience performing UX at a senior-level professionally.
- You have experience organising and implementing usability testing
- You are a creative and resourceful researcher who has practical experience implementing a number of research methodologies.
- Experience working across multiple teams and release cycles working closely with design, product management + development to realise experiences using agile project management.
- Experience working in e-commerce is a plus
- You can wireframe/sketch out ideas and collaborate with Product Designers
Why work with us
We’re all about boundless curiosity, so you’ll discover loads of opportunities to spark your creative flair and work along-side unreal talent who all have the same job description, to ‘Make Atom Successful.’ Trust is at the epicentre of all that we can do, so you’ll work in a transparent and honest environment where we have each other’s backs, and be free of ageing corporate policies and rules.
Life here’s about so much more than pay and benefits – you might get a slightly higher salary if you cram onto an expensive, crowded commuter train into the city, but you’ll struggle to find a company with the flex, agility and unique-ness that we have. In short, we’ve got you covered financially but if money is your main driver, we’re not for you.
We hate waste in all of it’s forms and time is no different, so we’re focused on productivity and output rather than when or where you work, or what you wear into the office – you can come in fancy dress for all we care! This means that although we can’t promise anything, flexible working options are built into our DNA.
Along with the stuff you get for turning up to work each day (think private healthcare scheme, unlimited annual leave, pension, cycle-2-work, eye care, enhanced maternity & paternity leave, free food, drinks and parking at the office), you’ll also get a healthy staff discount on our world-class range (just in case that makes a difference).
We don’t sit still, and there’s a lot more to come… Apply now if you want to join us.