Head of Brand & Content Marketing
- Permanent position (6-month probationary period)
- Full-Time (37.5 hours/week)
- £60,000 pa
- April 2023 (although flexible and ideally sooner)
- Hybrid: 1-2 days in London office per week (other flexible options can be discussed depending on the candidate’s location).
ABOUT PUBLIC PRACTICE
We are a small social enterprise dedicated to supporting local government build and develop their placemaking capabilities. We do this by helping built environment professionals transition into careers in the public sector and celebrate and support the work of those already there. Read more about us on our website, through our widespread press coverage, or watch this video about our work with local authorities in Cambridge.
As our new Head of Brand & Content Marketing, you will be comfortable joining a collaborative, small hybrid team culture and are excited about being part of a company that works hard to embody our values in our day-to-day work. As we are strongly committed to and value the diversity of perspectives that people from different backgrounds bring to our work, we positively encourage applications from eligible candidates regardless of their professional or personal backgrounds.
For this role, we will be looking for, and specifically assessing, the following attributes:
- Analytical Skills: ability to observe, research and interpret information to develop complex ideas and solutions.
- Highly Organised: ability to prioritise, plan and manage short, medium, to long-term activities and can adjust to changing or uncertain milestones easily.
- Excellent Copywriter: ability to effectively convey ideas and tell compelling stories in writing for specific audiences.
- Collaborative and Flexible: ability to communicate and delegate effectively with colleagues and thrive from working with others and in an agile environment.
- Understanding of Digital Channels: ability to use the right digital channels to engage the right audience, at the right time, with the right message.
- Creativity and Resourcefulness: ability to produce innovative and original brands, concepts and content utilising the materials and assets available.
Please note only applicants who have the right to work in the UK can be considered for this role.
THE ROLE OF HEAD OF BRAND & CONTENT MARKETING
Now just over five years old as a company, we are growing our core service – our Associate mid-career job placement programme – across England, as well as developing other new services into 2023 and beyond, all of which are pivotal to us having a strong content-led brand and built environment industry presence. We are looking to hire a Head of Brand & Content Marketing, a new role in our team, who will spearhead a strategic, creative and insight-driven approach to our brand and content marketing while leading on content production and digital channel engagement.
The core responsibilities of the role will be:
- PRODUCE CONTENT & EVOLVE OUR BRAND (25%)
Using your creativity and copywriting skills, you’ll deliver best-in-class company content, including launching and directing our own magazine/publication and coordinating content generation from across our network. Working with external agencies when needed, you’ll lead our brand strategy and engagement, overseeing how our identity and personality are developed and brought to life. You will help evolve our content and broader company materials to enhance our brand positioning within the industry.
- CHANNEL STRATEGY & EXPAND OUR REACH (25%)
To expand our reach to our target audiences, you will be responsible for generating inbound traffic through existing, earnt and owned channels. Areas for growth lie within Social (Instagram & Tik Tok), CRM, SEO and Referrals. You will be supported when needed by external agencies and our Digital Content Producer, who will help manage our channels.
- DIRECT OUR DIGITAL MARKETING CAMPAIGNS (20%)
You will coordinate our twice-yearly targeted digital campaigns, supported by our Digital Content Producer and a small PPC and agency budget.
The campaigns will include producing digital marketing content and commissioning new content to support B2C (candidates), and B2B (local authority hiring managers) targeted promotion.
- MANAGE OUR PRESS & EXTERNAL RELATIONS (15%)
Working with a PR agency budget, you will curate and manage our press coverage and coordinate our external speaking and marketing opportunities to ensure we are utilising our network of ambassadors whilst maintaining our brand messaging.
The other 15% of your time will be covered by core, team and professional development activities throughout the year.
THE FIRST SIX MONTHS IN THE ROLE
Within the first six months as our Head of Brand & Content Marketing, you will have:
- Coordinated your first digital campaign as we launch our Associate Programme across England, managing an external agency and reviewing the campaign performance.
- You will have reviewed our brand and company key assets and be ready to propose any brand refresh proposals to our Directors for approval in September.
- Developed a social channel content strategy, including using new channels such as Instagram to provide new avenues for growth, ready for the beginning of our next paid campaign starting at the end of October.
- Working with the COO, you will be helping to design and develop a new website platform that will enable greater content management and user experience.
- You will take on full line management of our Digital Content Producer to maintain quality BAU content publishing.
- Been onboarded and fully responsible for coordinating our PR management and PR agency contracts.
- Attended a number of professional training days and developed your own personal development plan.
WORKING AT PUBLIC PRACTICE
We are a small company but work hard to ensure we provide and continue to develop inclusive and progressive policies and benefits. Currently, we provide all employees with the following:
- 2 days of office access per week at the co-working office Better Space, Farringdon, of which we currently require a minimum of one day in the office per week (on Wednesdays) by all staff, however other more remote working options can be discussed with candidates depending on their home location.
- Monthly away days and regular team lunches.
- 30 days of holiday per year (excluding bank holidays).
- A flexible and remote working policy that allows employees to work their own hours beyond agreed meeting slots, and to work from abroad for 2 months of the year (in August and December).
- Provide a 4% employer’s pension contribution.
- Enhanced sick, maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- £600 annual training budget and up to four professional development days a year.
- Employee perks budget provided by With Juno monthly.
- We are also piloting a 9-Day-Fortnight and will launch a transparent progression framework, salary review and bonus policy process in the coming year.
THE HIRING PROCESS
We remove as much bias as possible during our hiring process, and candidates remain anonymous to all assessors until Stage Two. We also aim to collect and provide as much feedback as possible to all applicants at each stage of the process.
(23 December – 23 January)
Submit an online application answering some short written questions that are then anonymously assessed. Those scoring above a minimum threshold are then invited to:
Attend a competency-based, structured online interview with the CEO + COO lasting approximately 30 minutes. Selected candidates will then be asked to:
Present a prepared exercise at a second stage interview and meet other colleagues in the team, this can be in-person or online (at the candidate’s choice) and will last approximately 45 minutes
We aim that all candidates will have been communicated with an update on their application, and the selected candidate will receive an offer of appointment.
We hope to see the candidate in the post in April 2023, but we are flexible for either earlier or later start dates, depending on the candidate’s situation and notice period.
How to apply
The first stage application process asks candidates to complete just five questions which will then be scored anonymously by three Public Practice colleagues. The online form also asks some questions about you. This data will not be shared with those assessing your application.
Complete and submit the online form by 1 pm, Monday, 23 January 2023.
Please note we do not accept applications outside of this system.
WANT TO KNOW MORE OR HAVE A QUESTION?
If you would like to speak to the COO (the hiring lead) about this role and whether it could be the right fit for you, or if you have any specific access adjustment needs we haven’t addressed:
There are a number of 10-minute call slots available during the advert period, it’s first come-first serve basis.
If you would prefer to email your questions directly, email us via the email address email@example.com and we will aim to respond within 24 hours (48 hours over the holiday period).
If you have a question about this role but want to remain anonymous:
We’ve created an anonymous question form, open till 16 January, with our answers being shared openly across our social channels soon after.