We are looking for a service designer who wants to make a social impact.
WHAT MAKES SIDE LABS SPECIAL
SIDE Labs is a small team with a big mission: social impact via no-code.
We design and implement no-code solutions to alleviate suffering, guide the vulnerable and reduce inequalities.
Service design is at the heart of what we do. Service design bridges the gap between user needs and no-code tools. Done right, this offers a phenomenal way to deliver social impact.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We are looking for someone who can bring clarity to the fuzzy complexity of reality. Someone who can shape solutions that will work in the real world. Someone who can see possibilities for technology to improve the way services are delivered.
For the first 6 months you’ll be primarily working on a project for Citizens Advice Scotland. CAS has a wonderful mission: empowering citizens to help other citizens. There is great scope for our skills to help CAS deliver on this mission even better.
You’ll be working with a service designer and a project lead to:
Conduct user research to discover where no-code can deliver the biggest wins across the network
- Prototype those solutions
- Test the prototypes on sample users
- Iterate in response to this feedback
- Roll the solutions out across the network
This role initially runs to the end of January 2023, with the potential to extend.
The ideal candidate will have experience of:
- Workshop planning: Designing workshop activities and templates for meaningful engagement
- Workshop facilitation: running online sessions with warmth and sparkle
- One-on-one user research: writing conversation guides and running interviews
- Quantitative methods: surveys and A/B testing
- Working in a team to come up with ideas for prototypes, challenge the riskiest assumptions and find ways to test them
- Sketching out prototypes
- Creating convincing presentations that convince stakeholders of your service design vision.
- You’ll be able to ensure that user needs are kept front and centre – even when we have to squeeze within organisational constraints.
You don’t have to be a project manager, but you do have to take ownership of your designs and push them to conclusion.
At SIDE, we tend to use Figma and Miro for design (and paper and coffee). But we are flexible and happy if you’d like to introduce something new.
- Salary: £35k to £45k
- Holiday: 25 days + bank holidays + birthday
- Equipment: MacBook Pro; chair, desk and other home office kit as required
- Choice of SIDE no-code hoodie (unless you want Charcoal Large – we’ve run out of them 🤣 )
- Learning budget, pension and profit share (see Life at Side for more details)
- Monthly learning day. Quarterly hike day.
- In the case of exceptional performance, we offer a path to partnership in SIDE Labs.
- But it is not all about the benefits. It’s about the vibe. We are designers, tinkerers and friends. We grow and learn together, always aiming to deliver transformative social impact via no-code.
Two days per week we work face-to-face at our X+Why co-working spaces across London. The rest of the time we are remote. If you can join us twice a week in London, great. But getting together every month or two could also be okay for this role.