We are an exciting, inclusive membership charity and our core purpose is to represent, support and empower all 20,000 students studying at Imperial College London. We work in close partnership with Imperial College London and are proud to deliver services to support students studying at one of the world’s truly outstanding higher education institutions. This is an incredibly exciting time to join Imperial College Union. This year we launched our new strategic plan, designed to guide our charity to become a highly effective, impactful and sustainable organisation.
The Designer is responsible for all the Union’s design outputs, as the sole in-house creative at the Union. You will produce a range of communications materials and digital content across all our owned channels (social and web) as well as email, out of home display, print, signage, events, campaigns and marketing collateral. You will also work in partnership with external creatives and agencies to ensure that all work is consistent with our brand. And you will provide advice to student staff to help them produce effective and on brand communications for our audiences.
Duties and responsibilities
- To create new concepts and artwork for use across all channels
- Produce outputs at pace against tight deadlines, without any loss in quality or creativity
- Give ideas and creative solutions to internal clients and team members
- An ambassador for the brand, making sure all designs are on brief
- Support the wider team in creating visual assets
- Gives feedback to student staff carrying out design or creative work for the Union
- Closely work with the Marketing & Engagement Manager across their workload and oversee all design elements of Union campaigns
- Degree or suitable and relevant qualification in graphic design
- A portfolio of work demonstrating experience in producing work relevant to the role
- Experience developing and delivering design outputs that achieve the objectives of the brief
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop)
- Good knowledge of digital design packages (eg Dreamweaver) and HMTL (CSS)
- Ability to organise own work to meet deadline
- Commitment to working in a democratic and student led environment
Please note this role is with the Students’ Union. We’re a registered charity in our right, with our own governance, systems, processes and objectives. However, we work extremely closely with Imperial College London, so you’ll also be joining a wider community of staff working within Higher Education. If you’ve never worked in a students’ union, or are unsure why it’s different, we urge you to get in contact. It’s a brilliant place to work.
Like with other organisations, the pandemic has required us to really think through our working patterns – and how we can enable staff to work flexibly and productively. Because we’re a relatively small, student-facing organisation, we have an expectation that all permanent staff will work from the office in South Kensington for three days a week minimum (more if they choose). However, we’re also keen to understand the specific needs of all our staff, so we will consider all requests for flexible variations on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for the role please complete the online application form. Click ‘Apply by URL’ in the top left of this screen.